Obama congratulates Israel`s new President-elect
Washington: US President Barack Obama has congratulated Reuven Rivlin on his election as the next President of Israel.
"Over more than six decades, the United States and Israel have developed a unique relationship based on shared democratic values, our unshakable commitment to Israel`s security, and our partnership in scientific research and innovative technology," Obama said in a statement yesterday.
"President-elect Rivlin has a long and dedicated record of public service and we look forward to continued strong ties, to the benefit of both our nations, under Mr Rivlin`s presidency," he said.
"As President Shimon Peres nears the end of his term, he can look back on a remarkable legacy of courage, conviction, and compassion," Obama said about Peres whose term ends next month.
"He has dedicated his extraordinary life to the cause of peace, and I look forward to welcoming him in Washington later this month where he will receive the Congressional Gold Medal," said the US President.
The House Democratic Whip Steny H Hoyer too congratulated the new Israeli president.
"With a long record of leadership in the Knesset and as an advocate for a strong and secure Israel, President-elect Rivlin will surely bring to his new role many important qualities that will continue the Presidency`s mission to promote accountable government and represent Israel around the world," he said.
"As Israel continues to seek a secure and peaceful future for its region, the United States will continue to stand by our strong ally," he said.
"I look forward to working with President-elect Rivlin to advance our nations` shared goals, and I join as well in congratulating President Peres on successfully completing a term in office that has been the capstone to an incredible career devoted to serving his nation, advancing the cause of justice around the world, and working tirelessly to promote lasting peace," Hoyer said.
Rivlin will be sworn-in on July 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers