Obama congratulates President-elect Park Geun-hye of S Korea
Washington: US President Barack Obama on Friday called the South Korean president-elect, Park Geun-hye, to congratulate her on winning the presidential election and reaffirm the bilateral ties between the two countries.
"The President spoke by telephone last evening with Park Geun-hye, the President-elect of the Republic of Korea, to extend his congratulations on her victory in Wednesday`s Presidential election in Korea," the White House said in a statement today.
"Both sides reaffirmed the importance of the US-ROK alliance as a linchpin of peace and security on the Korean Peninsula and in the Asia Pacific region," the statement said.
The two leaders agreed on the need for continued close cooperation on a range of regional and global security issues, including North Korea, it said.
"The President said he looks forward to working with her to continue strengthening economic ties and enhancing bilateral security cooperation, which they agreed are important priorities," the White House said in its statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list