Obama congratulates President-elect Park Geun-hye of S Korea
Washington: US President Barack Obama on Friday called the South Korean president-elect, Park Geun-hye, to congratulate her on winning the presidential election and reaffirm the bilateral ties between the two countries.
"The President spoke by telephone last evening with Park Geun-hye, the President-elect of the Republic of Korea, to extend his congratulations on her victory in Wednesday`s Presidential election in Korea," the White House said in a statement today.
"Both sides reaffirmed the importance of the US-ROK alliance as a linchpin of peace and security on the Korean Peninsula and in the Asia Pacific region," the statement said.
The two leaders agreed on the need for continued close cooperation on a range of regional and global security issues, including North Korea, it said.
"The President said he looks forward to working with her to continue strengthening economic ties and enhancing bilateral security cooperation, which they agreed are important priorities," the White House said in its statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda