Obama congratulates President-elect Park Geun-hye of S Korea
Washington: US President Barack Obama on Friday called the South Korean president-elect, Park Geun-hye, to congratulate her on winning the presidential election and reaffirm the bilateral ties between the two countries.
"The President spoke by telephone last evening with Park Geun-hye, the President-elect of the Republic of Korea, to extend his congratulations on her victory in Wednesday`s Presidential election in Korea," the White House said in a statement today.
"Both sides reaffirmed the importance of the US-ROK alliance as a linchpin of peace and security on the Korean Peninsula and in the Asia Pacific region," the statement said.
The two leaders agreed on the need for continued close cooperation on a range of regional and global security issues, including North Korea, it said.
"The President said he looks forward to working with her to continue strengthening economic ties and enhancing bilateral security cooperation, which they agreed are important priorities," the White House said in its statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!