Obama considering woman to lead FBI
Washington: The Obama administration is searching a replacement for FBI Director Robert S Mueller III, and for the first time one of the leading contenders is a woman.
According to current and past administration officials, one of several people under consideration is Lisa Monaco, who left a senior post at the Justice Department this month to become President Barack Obama’s top counter terrorism adviser.
Mueller, 68, will step down on September 4 after 12 years on the job. Since taking the helm a week before the September 11, 2001, attacks, Mueller has overseen the bureau’s transformation into a worldwide counterterrorism operation, the Washington Post reports.
The director’s job is limited to 10 years by law, but the Senate in 2011 extended Mueller’s term for two years at the request of Obama after a search for a replacement failed.
According to the report, officials said the administration wants to find a successor soon so that person can be vetted, nominated and confirmed before Congress goes on summer recess.
Among the names that have surfaced as contenders are Monaco, who oversaw the National Security Division at Justice before moving to the White House; Merrick B Garland, chief judge of the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit; James B Comey, deputy attorney general in the George W Bush administration; Neil MacBride, US attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia; and Patrick J Fitzgerald, former US attorney in Chicago.
While Mueller has won bipartisan support through two administrations, the bureau has increased its surveillance operations in ways that critics say sometimes violate civil liberties, the report said.
Law enforcement experts said that the new director will need to be experienced in both law enforcement and management, given the vast expansion of the FBI’s operations over the past decade, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla