Obama delays Asia trip to deal with health care
Washington: President Barack Obama has
delayed his first international trip of the year, a visit to
Asia, to focus attention on the final push to salvage
sputtering US health care legislation after a year of
The trip to Guam, Australia and Indonesia, the world`s
most populous Muslim country where Obama spent several years
as a youngster, will now run from March 21-26, rather than
March 18-24, according to a senior administration official who
spoke condition of anonymity because the White House hadn`t
announced the delay.
The trip was scheduled to coincide with his daughters`
spring vacation from school, but now his family apparently
will not accompany him because of the later dates.
Press secretary Robert Gibbs had insisted that Congress
act on health legislation by March 18, Obama`s original
But the White House seemed to have back off that as
Democratic leaders tried to round up enough votes for passage
of Obama`s top priority.
Obama plans to launch a comprehensive partnership with
Indonesia, mark the 70th anniversary of US-Australia relations
and discuss Afghanistan and nuclear non-proliferation with
Australia`s leaders. In the US territory of Guam, he will meet
with US military personnel on the island.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble