Obama, Democrats have edge over Republicans: Poll
Washington: As the United States enters the
crucial election year, President Barack Obama and his
Democratic party has a clear edge over the opposition
Republican party, a latest opinion poll has said.
"Americans have slightly more confidence in President
Barack Obama and the Democrats in Congress (41 per cent) than
in the Republicans in Congress (34 per cent) when it comes to
the looming debate on what the government should do about a
more permanent extension of payroll tax cuts and unemployment
benefits," Gallup said.
In another opinion poll, CNN said that Newt Gingrich, the
former Speaker of the House of Representatives and a leading
Republican presidential candidate, is slipping in his lead in
Iowa, the State which will hold the first primary next week.
Whereas, Mitt Romney, who is now widely considered to bag
the Republican presidential nomination, is solidifying his
lead in another key State of New Hampshire.
"With less than a week to go until Republicans cast the
first votes of the 2012 presidential race in Iowa, former
Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney and Texas congressman Ron
Paul remain atop the field there, even as the fortunes of
their closest competitors are quickly changing," CNN said
referring to its new opinion poll.
Romney now leads the pack with support from 25 percent
of likely Iowa caucus-goers, while Paul boasts 22 percent,
both posting a five-point gain since early December.
While Romney`s lead in Iowa is tenuous, his continued
strength across the board raises the possibility that the
establishment front-runner could win his party`s nomination in
a clean sweep.
Also the CNN said the new survey indicates that Rick
Santorum, the former senator from Pennsylvania, is at 16 per
cent support, up 11 points from the beginning of the month,
with Gingrich at 14 per cent, down from 33 per cent in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read