Obama dispatches Clinton to Middle East
Phnom Penh: US President Barack Obama Tuesday dispatched his Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to the Middle East on a fire fighting mission to defuse tension and prevent any further escalation of conflict in the region.
"Clinton will depart today and she`ll travel to Jerusalem, Ramallah, and Cairo, leaving from Phonm Penh," Ben Rhodes, Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communication, told reporters here.
"She`ll meet with regional leaders, beginning with our Israeli partners, to consult on the situation in Gaza," he said.
Clinton`s trip came as the death toll from Israeli raids on the Gaza Strip since Wednesday rose to over 110.
"Her visits will build on the engagement that we`ve undertaken over the last several days, including the engagement by President Obama and Secretary Clinton with leaders in the region to support a de-escalation of the violence and a durable outcome that ends the rocket attacks on Israeli cities and restores a broader calm in the region," Rhodes said.
"On her trip, Clinton will emphasise the US` interest in a peaceful outcome that protects and enhances Israel`s security and regional stability -- an outcome that can lead to improved conditions for the civilian residents of Gaza, and that could reopen the path to fulfil the aspirations of Palestinians and Israelis for two states living side by side in peace and security," the White House official said.
Obama`s decision to send Clinton to the Middle East was taken after days of telephonic conversation both had with leaders in the region, with no letup in the tension.
"Secretary Clinton and the President spoke about the situation in Gaza and the calls that he`d done, and they agreed that it makes sense for the Secretary to travel to the region," Rhodes said.
Both Obama and Clinton believe that the best way to solve this is crisis through diplomacy so that there is a peaceful settlement that ends that rocket fire and allows for a broader calm in the region.
"We want to broaden those discussions as we move forward with Secretary Clinton going to the region so that we can build on the constructive role that Egypt is playing and send a clear message that it`s in nobody`s interest to see an escalation of the military conflict," he added.
Clinton`s first stop will be in Israel, where she will meet with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
"Then she`ll be meeting with Palestinians in Ramallah, and she will be meeting with Egyptian leaders in Cairo. And again, the goal throughout that trip is for everybody to use their influence and their voices to encourage a peaceful outcome rather than an escalation. Our bottom line is that peaceful outcome has to include an end to rocket fire that threatens Israel," Rhodes said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India