Obama expects to nominate new justice by end of May
Washington: President Barack Obama said
on Wednesday he would name a new nominee for the US Supreme Court by
the end of next month, and urged Senate leaders to ensure a
"smooth" confirmation process.
The president also said he would seek a nominee who took
into account women`s rights but said he would not impose a
formal "litmus test" on a potential candidate`s views on the
hot-button issue of abortion.
Obama noted that the Senate confirmation formalities for
his first Supreme Court pick, Justice Sonia Sotomayor were
"smooth" and "civil" and said he hoped for a similar approach
from all sides this year.
"Last time the nomination went out at the end of May.
We`re certainly going to meet that deadline. We hope that
maybe we can accelerate a little bit," Obama told reporters in
the Oval Office.
He was joined at a meeting on his future nominee by
Senate Majority leader Harry Reid, and Richard Leahy, chairman
of the chamber`s Judiciary Committee.
Senate Republican minority leader Mitch McConnell and
Senator Jeff Sessions the top Republican on the Judiciary
Committee, were also at the talks, ahead of what could be a
heated partisan fight in a mid-term election year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez