Obama expects to nominate new justice by end of May
Washington: President Barack Obama said
on Wednesday he would name a new nominee for the US Supreme Court by
the end of next month, and urged Senate leaders to ensure a
"smooth" confirmation process.
The president also said he would seek a nominee who took
into account women`s rights but said he would not impose a
formal "litmus test" on a potential candidate`s views on the
hot-button issue of abortion.
Obama noted that the Senate confirmation formalities for
his first Supreme Court pick, Justice Sonia Sotomayor were
"smooth" and "civil" and said he hoped for a similar approach
from all sides this year.
"Last time the nomination went out at the end of May.
We`re certainly going to meet that deadline. We hope that
maybe we can accelerate a little bit," Obama told reporters in
the Oval Office.
He was joined at a meeting on his future nominee by
Senate Majority leader Harry Reid, and Richard Leahy, chairman
of the chamber`s Judiciary Committee.
Senate Republican minority leader Mitch McConnell and
Senator Jeff Sessions the top Republican on the Judiciary
Committee, were also at the talks, ahead of what could be a
heated partisan fight in a mid-term election year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi