Obama expects to nominate new justice by end of May
Washington: President Barack Obama said
on Wednesday he would name a new nominee for the US Supreme Court by
the end of next month, and urged Senate leaders to ensure a
"smooth" confirmation process.
The president also said he would seek a nominee who took
into account women`s rights but said he would not impose a
formal "litmus test" on a potential candidate`s views on the
hot-button issue of abortion.
Obama noted that the Senate confirmation formalities for
his first Supreme Court pick, Justice Sonia Sotomayor were
"smooth" and "civil" and said he hoped for a similar approach
from all sides this year.
"Last time the nomination went out at the end of May.
We`re certainly going to meet that deadline. We hope that
maybe we can accelerate a little bit," Obama told reporters in
the Oval Office.
He was joined at a meeting on his future nominee by
Senate Majority leader Harry Reid, and Richard Leahy, chairman
of the chamber`s Judiciary Committee.
Senate Republican minority leader Mitch McConnell and
Senator Jeff Sessions the top Republican on the Judiciary
Committee, were also at the talks, ahead of what could be a
heated partisan fight in a mid-term election year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning