Obama gets 90% approval rating
Washington: With three days to go to the
US mid-term elections, President Barack Obama`s approval
rating soared to 90 per cent yesterday -- but only among the
tens of thousands who gathered in Washington for a rally
hosted by two liberal comics.
Most of the people who participated in text-message
poll conducted among the estimated 200,000 who turned out for
the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear hosted by funnymen Jon
Stewart and Stephen Colbert, said they support Obama and want
his administration to focus aggressively on a jobs-creation
An overwhelming majority -- 90 per cent -- approved of
the President, and more than half -- 56 per cent -- approved
of him strongly, the poll found.
Among a cross-section of Americans, only 47 per cent
gave Obama a favourable rating in a poll conducted by the
Gallup Organisation between October 14-17.
An overwhelming majority of the people who attended
the rally said they are likely to vote for Democratic Party
candidates in Tuesday`s elections, the poll found.
But only one-in-four is more enthusiastic about voting
this year compared to 2008, when Obama was elected.
Eight per cent of those who took the poll said they
were still undecided as to whom to vote for, and one per cent
said they planned to vote Republican.
The remaining five per cent said they were unlikely to
The poll was taken just three days before Americans
head to the polls for mid-term elections, in which the
Republican Party is expected to snatch the House of
Representatives from Obama`s Democratic Party. Some think the
Republicans could also win a majority in the Senate.
Obama is holding a final weekend campaign blitz in
four key states where the race between Democratic and
Republican lawmakers is neck-and-neck -- Connecticut, Ohio,
Illinois and Pennsylvania -- to urge the Democrats`
electoral base including women, young people and blacks, to
vote on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars