Obama gives nod to US-Russia agreement on Syria arms deal
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
Washington: A move that can evade severe action on Syria, the US President Barack Obama on Saturday welcomed the agreement between US Secretary of State John Kerry and Russia Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov wherein both conceded that Syria should hand over the chemical weapons to UNSC.
The agreement after three days of talks demands that Assad give a full account of his secret stockpile within a week.
However, while accepting the agreement, Obama also warned Syria to abide by its commitment.
He also said that if Syria fails to comply then US is well prepared to take action.
Yesterday, Kerry had said that UN inspectors will show agility in destroying the chemical weapons.
United Nations leader Ban-ki-moon has been skeptical that Syria would not respect the international deal. He had also said that the reports which will be out in a week will have overwhelming confirmation on the use of chemical weapons in Syria attacks on August 21.
While Obama had called for military action on Syria, Russian president Vladimir Putin had condemned US’s decision.
Earlier, both the nations had moved their navy in Mediterranean sea closer to Syria. However, the recent agreement on Syria arms deal can cease all speculations about any attack on Syria.
Lavrov while agreeing on the deal had said, “When there is a will, there is a way.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says