Obama gives nod to US-Russia agreement on Syria arms deal
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
Washington: A move that can evade severe action on Syria, the US President Barack Obama on Saturday welcomed the agreement between US Secretary of State John Kerry and Russia Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov wherein both conceded that Syria should hand over the chemical weapons to UNSC.
The agreement after three days of talks demands that Assad give a full account of his secret stockpile within a week.
However, while accepting the agreement, Obama also warned Syria to abide by its commitment.
He also said that if Syria fails to comply then US is well prepared to take action.
Yesterday, Kerry had said that UN inspectors will show agility in destroying the chemical weapons.
United Nations leader Ban-ki-moon has been skeptical that Syria would not respect the international deal. He had also said that the reports which will be out in a week will have overwhelming confirmation on the use of chemical weapons in Syria attacks on August 21.
While Obama had called for military action on Syria, Russian president Vladimir Putin had condemned US’s decision.
Earlier, both the nations had moved their navy in Mediterranean sea closer to Syria. However, the recent agreement on Syria arms deal can cease all speculations about any attack on Syria.
Lavrov while agreeing on the deal had said, “When there is a will, there is a way.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister