Obama, Hagel monitoring Navy Yard shooting investigations
Washington: US President Barack Obama and the Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel were personally monitoring the developments and investigations related to the brazen act of shooting in a Washington Navy Yard that killed at least 13 people including the shooter himself.
Obama who was briefed multiple times throughout the day on the tragic incident yesterday, delayed his major remarks on economy by more than 50 minutes.
"We are going to be investigating thoroughly what happened, as we do so many of these shootings, sadly, that have happened, and do everything that we can to try to prevent them" he said.
This is a tragic day for the Department of Defence, the national capital area, and the nation, US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel said.
"My thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this outrageous act of violence, their families, and all those affected by today`s events" he said.
Meanwhile the White House reiterated the need of a strong gun control laws.
"We should take action to reduce gun violence. We should take common-sense action that`s supported by Americans from every part of the country" White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said yesterday at his news conference.
Saddened at the terrible events, Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid said?there are still few details on what led to this tragedy, or who the perpetrator or perpetrators may be.
"The men and women in our military courageously put their lives on the line in many dangerous places around the world. It`s painful for all of us to think about them having to worry about their safety when they come home too" the Senate Minority Leader, Mitch McConnell said.
"Members of Congress always stand with the members of our military. Today, we hold a special place in our hearts for those who serve our country at the Navy Yard and for all caught in the crossfire of today?s horrible attack" said House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks