Obama, Hagel monitoring Navy Yard shooting investigations
Washington: US President Barack Obama and the Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel were personally monitoring the developments and investigations related to the brazen act of shooting in a Washington Navy Yard that killed at least 13 people including the shooter himself.
Obama who was briefed multiple times throughout the day on the tragic incident yesterday, delayed his major remarks on economy by more than 50 minutes.
"We are going to be investigating thoroughly what happened, as we do so many of these shootings, sadly, that have happened, and do everything that we can to try to prevent them" he said.
This is a tragic day for the Department of Defence, the national capital area, and the nation, US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel said.
"My thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this outrageous act of violence, their families, and all those affected by today`s events" he said.
Meanwhile the White House reiterated the need of a strong gun control laws.
"We should take action to reduce gun violence. We should take common-sense action that`s supported by Americans from every part of the country" White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said yesterday at his news conference.
Saddened at the terrible events, Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid said?there are still few details on what led to this tragedy, or who the perpetrator or perpetrators may be.
"The men and women in our military courageously put their lives on the line in many dangerous places around the world. It`s painful for all of us to think about them having to worry about their safety when they come home too" the Senate Minority Leader, Mitch McConnell said.
"Members of Congress always stand with the members of our military. Today, we hold a special place in our hearts for those who serve our country at the Navy Yard and for all caught in the crossfire of today?s horrible attack" said House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says