Obama hails `vibrancy` of Turkish democracy
Washington: US President Barack Obama hailed the "vibrancy of Turkish democracy" after almost 80 percent of voters turned out for a constitutional referendum.
The White House said on Sunday Obama had called Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan and congratulated him on Turkey`s hosting of the World Basketball Championship, the final of which was to be competed between the two nations. The US beat Turkey to win the World Basketball Championship.
"The President said he is rooting for the American team but that whoever wins both teams have played great basketball," a statement said.
"The President also acknowledged the vibrancy of Turkey`s democracy as reflected in the turnout for the referendum that took place across Turkey today (Sunday)."
Erdogan earlier said that between 77 and 78 percent of voters went to the polls, with some 58 percent of them backing measures to reshape the judiciary and curb the military`s powers.
The outcome came as a huge boost for Erdogan`s Justice and Development Party (AKP) ahead of general elections next year in which the party, the moderate offshoot of a banned Islamist movement, will seek a third straight term in power.
The secularist opposition had campaigned against the amendments, charging that they masked an AKP quest to take control of the judiciary and assert an authoritarian grip on power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof