Obama hails `vibrancy` of Turkish democracy
Washington: US President Barack Obama hailed the "vibrancy of Turkish democracy" after almost 80 percent of voters turned out for a constitutional referendum.
The White House said on Sunday Obama had called Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan and congratulated him on Turkey`s hosting of the World Basketball Championship, the final of which was to be competed between the two nations. The US beat Turkey to win the World Basketball Championship.
"The President said he is rooting for the American team but that whoever wins both teams have played great basketball," a statement said.
"The President also acknowledged the vibrancy of Turkey`s democracy as reflected in the turnout for the referendum that took place across Turkey today (Sunday)."
Erdogan earlier said that between 77 and 78 percent of voters went to the polls, with some 58 percent of them backing measures to reshape the judiciary and curb the military`s powers.
The outcome came as a huge boost for Erdogan`s Justice and Development Party (AKP) ahead of general elections next year in which the party, the moderate offshoot of a banned Islamist movement, will seek a third straight term in power.
The secularist opposition had campaigned against the amendments, charging that they masked an AKP quest to take control of the judiciary and assert an authoritarian grip on power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic