Obama has not received Nobel Prize money yet
Washington: Three months after receiving
the prestigious Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo, US President Barack
Obama is yet to receive the USD 1.4 million cash award, the
White House said today.
"Not that I am aware of, no," White House Press
Secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters at his daily press
briefing when asked if Obama has received the check of USD 1.4
million from the Norwegian Nobel Committee; which awarded him
the coveted peace prize on December 10 last year.
Gibbs told curious reporters that Obama has not
asked for the money yet.
"I assume it (money) is with the committee," he said.
Soon after receiving the award, the White House had
said that Obama intends to donate this money to charities.
"That`s what we`re working on. That`s quite
perceptive," he said.
"There will be a process to evaluate that, from his
perspective. I assume it will be many different charities. But
he has not told me or anybody else here the specifics of what
those might be," Gibbs had told reporters on October 13.
On October 9, the Nobel Prize Committee had announced
that Obama has won the Peace Prize for the year 2009 "his
extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy
and cooperation between peoples."
Humbled by the prize, Obama said in a statement which
he read from the Rose Garden of the White House that he will
accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations
to confront the common challenges of the 21st century.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets