Obama `HOPE` poster artist spared jail sentence
Washington: The US artist, who had cribbed a copyright photo for his iconic "HOPE" poster for President Barack Obama`s 2008 campaign, has reportedly escaped a jail sentence.
Artist Shepard Fairey was accused of destroying documents and manufacturing fake evidence in a civil suit over the image.
Instead, he was sentenced to two years of probation, 300 hours of community service and a 25,000 dollar fine, the New York Post reports.
A US judge cited judge Fairey`s history of "extensive charitable works" and his ongoing battle against Type 1 diabetes, which Fairey`s lawyer said had forced him to undergo two eye surgeries and couldn`t be properly treated in the slammer.
Earlier, Fairey offered apologies to The Associated Press, whose photo he had ripped off, along with the court, his family and friends, and "anyone else I might have harmed,” after pleading guilty to criminal contempt.
Fairey said that "violating the court`s trust" during his legal fight with the AP, which he settled for 1.6 million dollars, “was the worst thing I`ve ever done in my life.”
"I`m deeply ashamed and remorseful that I didn`t live up to my own standards of honesty and integrity," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note