Obama immigration plan: Ploy, decoy, ruse or just backup?
Washington: As President Barack Obama`s leaked plan to put America`s 11 million illegal immigrants, including some 250,000 Indians, on a path to citizenship, generated a storm, White House insisted it was just a "backup plan."
"The administration will be ready to move forward in the event the bipartisan process gets bogged down and is not able to produce a bill," a White House official was quoted as saying by NBC News. "But our focus remains on supporting the congressional process."
But some media pundits suggested that it was a "decoy" designed to pressure Republicans to get Obama what he wanted, while others said it would complicate the job of the "Gang of Eight" - four Democrat and four Republican senators - to work out a bipartisan deal.
The Obama plan calls for an eight-year path to permanent residency for undocumented immigrants who would face a criminal background check and have to pay back taxes, learn English and get a new "lawful prospective immigrant" visa, according to a draft obtained by USA Today.
In Republicans` "shock and outrage" over Obama`s leaked "backup plan", Washington Post`s Eugene Robinson saw the prospects of a deal brightening.
"In dysfunctional Washington, this means that prospects for comprehensive reform - including what amounts to an amnesty for the undocumented - are getting brighter," he wrote.
"If the president really wants immigration reform to pass, one of the most helpful things he could do is put out his own plan as a decoy, to draw Republican fire, while the Senate works toward bipartisan consensus," Robinson wrote suggesting it "looks suspiciously like what just happened."
The Boston Herald seemed to agree in saying Obama had "upped the ante on the immigration reform showdown with Republicans".
The Herald called it a "move hailed by political pundits and reform advocates as a savvy manoeuvre to keep the backing of crucial Latino voters."
But the Voice of America was of the view that the leaked White House proposal complicates immigration reform effort.
"Harsh words in Washington are revealing the tough political challenge when it comes to reforming America`s immigration system," it said in a commentary suggesting "friction over the White House draft bill shows that change is far from assured."
The leaked "bill may have disrupted delicate, closed-door negotiations between Democratic and Republican lawmakers attempting to craft comprehensive bipartisan legislation," it said.
CNN called the immigration debate as "high-stakes political poker" with former Florida Republican House member Connie Mack suggesting the leak of Obama`s plan "plays into the fears" of Republicans that the president prefers keeping the issue alive for political advantage."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!