Obama invites leaders from Mid-East for talks on Syria
Washington: US President Barack Obama has invited a number of key leaders from the Middle East to the White House in next few weeks to address a range of global and regional issue like Israel-Palestine peace and Syria.
Leaders from the UAE, Qatar, Jordan and Turkey have been invited to the White House in the next few weeks, according to a series of presidential press announcements on Friday.
"On Thursday, May 16, President Obama will welcome Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey to the White House. As friends and NATO allies, the United States and Turkey are partners in addressing a range of critical global and regional issues. The President looks forward to discussing these issues with the Prime Minister, to include Syria, trade and economic cooperation, and countering terrorism," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said.
"The Prime Minister`s visit underscores the close friendship between the United States and Turkey and the strategic importance we place on broadening and strengthening our relationship moving forward," he said.
King Abdullah II of Jordan will meet Obama at the White House on April 26.
"The President deeply appreciated the hospitality he received in Jordan last month and looks forward to continuing his consultations with King Abdullah on Jordan`s political and economic reforms, the humanitarian crisis in Syria, and additional regional issues of mutual concern," he said.
Jordan is an invaluable ally and close friend.
"King Abdullah`s visit is a demonstration of the close partnership between the United States and Jordan," Carney said.
Obama had travelled to Jordan last month.
Obama will welcome to the White House the Amir of Qatar, Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, on April 23.
"The United States and Qatar have a strong bilateral relationship, reflecting our close defence partnership, expanding commercial ties, and many other areas of cooperation," Carney said.
The US is firmly committed to continuing to deepen our consultations with Qatar on the many important developments in the region.
"The President looks forward to a broad discussion with the Amir on a range of mutual interests and regional issues to further strengthen our bilateral partnership," Carney said.
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan of the United Arab Emirates will be at the White House on April 16.
"The President looks forward to discussing with the Crown Prince the strong and enduring ties between the United States and the UAE and consulting on common strategic interests in the Gulf region and broader Middle East," he said.
"The United States and the UAE enjoy a vibrant and expanding bilateral relationship, including strong defence cooperation and economic ties, and a shared commitment to advancing peace, economic opportunity, and stability throughout the world.
"The United States remains firmly committed to continuing to deepen the US-UAE partnership through close and regular consultations between our two countries," Carney said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in