Obama invites Libyan rebels to DC: US official
Benghazi: The top U.S. diplomat for the Middle East says President Barack Obama has invited the Libyan rebels` National Transitional Council to open an office in Washington D.C., but he stopped short of formal recognition.
Tuesday`s statement by Jeffrey Feltman comes hours after NATO launched its most intense bombardment yet against Moammar Gadhafi`s stronghold of Tripoli.
Feltman told reporters in the eastern city of Benghazi that he expects Congress to vote soon to let frozen regime assets in the U.S. be used for purely humanitarian aid in Libya.
He says the Americans aren`t negotiating with Gadhafi and the opposition council is considered the legitimate representative of the Libyan people. But he did not offer it formal recognition, as other countries have done.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you