Obama knocks Republicans on campaign finance ruling
Vineyard Haven: President Barack Obama
says Republicans should join him in opposing a Supreme Court
ruling that vastly increased how much corporations can spend
on political campaign ads.
Instead, the Republican Party wants to "keep the public
in the dark" about who`s behind the expenditures, Obama
contended in his weekly radio and Internet address, released
today as he vacationed on Martha`s Vineyard.
"You`d think that reducing corporate and even foreign
influence over our elections wouldn`t be a partisan issue,"
"But the Republican leaders in Congress said no. In
fact,they used their power to block the issue from even coming
up for a vote.
"This can only mean that the leaders of the other party
want to keep the public in the dark," said the president.
"They don`t want you to know which interests are paying for
the ads. The only people who don`t want to disclose the truth
are people with something to hide."
Republican Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell scoffed
at Obama`s message.
"Americans want us to focus on jobs, but by focusing on
an election bill, Democrats are sending a clear message to the
American people that their jobs aren`t as important as the
jobs of embattled Democrat politicians," McConnell said.
"The president says this bill is about transparency. It`s
transparent all right. It`s a transparent effort to rig the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA