Obama launches rescue mission for top Democrat
Las Vegas: President Barack Obama has
launched a last-ditch rescue mission for Democratic Senate
chief Harry Reid, who risks taking a knockout punch from
Republicans in mid-term polls.
Reid is battling to save his political life, and his
defeat by rival Sharron Angle, a favorite of the conservative
"Tea Party" movement would sicken Democrats already bracing
for heavy losses in the election on November 2.
"All those who fought for change in 2008, you have got to
fight for change in 2010," Obama told a raucous rally in Las
Vegas yesterday, seeking to fire up his youthful, diverse
coalition of Nevada voters on Reid`s behalf.
"We are just in the first quarter, I can`t have you tired
now," Obama told supporters ahead of polls in which analysts
tip Republicans to win back the House of Representatives and
cut Democratic margins in the Senate.
Earlier, on the third day of a campaign swing, Obama
branded Republicans as radical and reactionary, seeking to
bolster another key Democratic Senator, Barbara Boxer, in
normally safe Democratic ground of California.
He charged that the first Republican president, his
political hero Abraham Lincoln would be too moderate to win
the opposition party`s presidential nomination in the modern
"Seriously, can you imagine him trying to run with these
folks?" Obama said, in a bid to portray the Republican Party
as outside the mainstream.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves