Obama marks Holocaust Remembrance day
Washington: US President Barack Obama marked Holocaust Remembrance Day, saying the world must honour victims of Nazi horror by renewing a commitment to prevent genocide and anti-Semitism.
"We must never tolerate the hateful stereotypes and prejudice against the Jewish people that tragically continues to this day," Obama said in a written statement yesterday.
"We must work, instead, on behalf of a world of justice and peace, in which all nations and peoples value the humanity that we share, and the dignity inherent in every human being."
"The memories of the victims serve as a constant reminder to honour their legacy by renewing our commitment to prevent genocide, and to confront anti-Semitism and prejudice in all of its forms."
The President said he bore witness to Nazi evil during a visit to the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem during his 2008 election campaign, and on his trip to the Buchenwald Nazi concentration camp last year in Germany.
"Even at places like Buchenwald, the dignity and courage of those who endured the horrors of the Holocaust remind us of humanity`s capacity for decency and compassion," Obama said.
Obama has had open public differences with the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, but has underlined that the US relationship with Israel, and his commitment to Israeli security is unbreakable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional