Obama marks Holocaust Remembrance day
Washington: US President Barack Obama marked Holocaust Remembrance Day, saying the world must honour victims of Nazi horror by renewing a commitment to prevent genocide and anti-Semitism.
"We must never tolerate the hateful stereotypes and prejudice against the Jewish people that tragically continues to this day," Obama said in a written statement yesterday.
"We must work, instead, on behalf of a world of justice and peace, in which all nations and peoples value the humanity that we share, and the dignity inherent in every human being."
"The memories of the victims serve as a constant reminder to honour their legacy by renewing our commitment to prevent genocide, and to confront anti-Semitism and prejudice in all of its forms."
The President said he bore witness to Nazi evil during a visit to the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem during his 2008 election campaign, and on his trip to the Buchenwald Nazi concentration camp last year in Germany.
"Even at places like Buchenwald, the dignity and courage of those who endured the horrors of the Holocaust remind us of humanity`s capacity for decency and compassion," Obama said.
Obama has had open public differences with the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, but has underlined that the US relationship with Israel, and his commitment to Israeli security is unbreakable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America