Obama marks Holocaust Remembrance day
Washington: US President Barack Obama marked Holocaust Remembrance Day, saying the world must honour victims of Nazi horror by renewing a commitment to prevent genocide and anti-Semitism.
"We must never tolerate the hateful stereotypes and prejudice against the Jewish people that tragically continues to this day," Obama said in a written statement yesterday.
"We must work, instead, on behalf of a world of justice and peace, in which all nations and peoples value the humanity that we share, and the dignity inherent in every human being."
"The memories of the victims serve as a constant reminder to honour their legacy by renewing our commitment to prevent genocide, and to confront anti-Semitism and prejudice in all of its forms."
The President said he bore witness to Nazi evil during a visit to the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem during his 2008 election campaign, and on his trip to the Buchenwald Nazi concentration camp last year in Germany.
"Even at places like Buchenwald, the dignity and courage of those who endured the horrors of the Holocaust remind us of humanity`s capacity for decency and compassion," Obama said.
Obama has had open public differences with the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, but has underlined that the US relationship with Israel, and his commitment to Israeli security is unbreakable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'