Obama marks Holocaust Remembrance day
Washington: US President Barack Obama marked Holocaust Remembrance Day, saying the world must honour victims of Nazi horror by renewing a commitment to prevent genocide and anti-Semitism.
"We must never tolerate the hateful stereotypes and prejudice against the Jewish people that tragically continues to this day," Obama said in a written statement yesterday.
"We must work, instead, on behalf of a world of justice and peace, in which all nations and peoples value the humanity that we share, and the dignity inherent in every human being."
"The memories of the victims serve as a constant reminder to honour their legacy by renewing our commitment to prevent genocide, and to confront anti-Semitism and prejudice in all of its forms."
The President said he bore witness to Nazi evil during a visit to the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem during his 2008 election campaign, and on his trip to the Buchenwald Nazi concentration camp last year in Germany.
"Even at places like Buchenwald, the dignity and courage of those who endured the horrors of the Holocaust remind us of humanity`s capacity for decency and compassion," Obama said.
Obama has had open public differences with the government of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, but has underlined that the US relationship with Israel, and his commitment to Israeli security is unbreakable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- RIP Gene Wilder: Celebs mourns loss of 'funniest and sweetest energies ever'
- RSS turning temples into storehouses of arms: Kerala minister
- Curfew lifted from Pulwama; situation in Kashmir improving
- Failure more special than success: Emraan Hashmi
- Rains trigger landslide on Gangotri highway in Uttarakhand