Obama may bounce back through State of Union address: Expert
Washington: Despite his declining approval ratings at the end of his first year in the office, President Barack Obama is likely to bounce back through Wednesday’s State of the Union Address, a political scientist has predicted.
UIndy’s Carrie Cihasky, a political science instructor at the University of Indianapolis, expects Obama to mount a strong defence of his policies through Wednesday’s address.
“Obama has an opportunity on Wednesday to play to his strengths and get his agenda back on track. I think we’ll hear a major push for healthcare reform,” Newswise quoted Cihasky, as saying.
She added that a president’s numbers typically decline over time not only during the first year, but also, throughout his time in office.
In Obama’s case, according to Gallup, overall job approval has dropped from 68 percent to 50 percent in the past year.
However, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton after the first year were at 50 and 49 percent, respectively, and they went on to win second terms, she pointed out
Obama, whose approval rating on economic matters has dropped below 40 percent, may see the same lift as his term continues. Interestingly, his job approval on terrorism and foreign affairs has risen to 49 percent, even after the nearly successful Christmas Day bomb plot.
Perhaps the greatest concern for Obama, Cihasky says, is the 37 percent approval of his efforts to reform health care, a signature issue of his campaign.
But Obama should use the State of the Union to “go public,” she says, taking his agenda directly to citizens in order to shift public opinion and sway Congress.
“A major strength for Obama is his ability to relate to people on a personal level. In today’s media age, style matters as much as substance. The President should use that to his advantage,” she says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM