Obama mixes Star Wars and Star Trek metaphors
Washington: President Barack Obama mixed Star Wars and Star Trek metaphors as he explained why he could not force the Republicans and Democrats to a deal to replace the forced spending cuts that kicked in on Friday.
"I am not a dictator. I`m the president," he told a reporter at the White House Friday who had asked "couldn`t you just have them down here and refuse to let them leave the room until you have a deal?"
If Republican leaders Mitch McConnell or John Boehner "say, we need to go to catch a plane, I can`t have Secret Service block the doorway, right?" he said.
Nor did he have the power "somehow do a Jedi mind-meld with these folks and convince them to do what`s right".
The president`s remarks brought a quick response from the fans of "Star Trek" and "Star Wars", saying "The `mind meld` is not a Jedi tool from `Star Wars`, but a Vulcan ability from `Star Trek.`"
An acknowledged Trekkie, Obama has invited to the White House Nichelle Nichols, the actress who played the role of communications officer Lt. Uhura in the popular Star Trek television series and films.
The `mind meld`, as any Trekkie worth his salt, the fans said, will tell you, is a technique "that allows a Vulcan to merge his or her mind with the essence of another`s mind purely by using specialised contact fingertip-points".
Jedi knights, from Star Wars, on the other hand, are known for their mind tricks - "a spectrum of Force powers which influenced the thoughts of sentient creatures", according to the Star Wars Wikia.
Quick on the uptake, the White House responded to the mixed metaphor by tweeting: We must bring balance to the Force. #Sequester #JediMindMeld.
So did the actor who played Spock in Star Trek: Leonard Nimoy @TheRealNimoy
Only a Vulcan mind meld will help with this congress. LLAP
The official twitter account of Star Wars weighed in.
Star Wars@starwars -- #JediMindMeld? Come on, it`s #JediMindTRICK! #StarWars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins