Obama names Indian-American to national arts council
Washington: President Barack Obama has nominated Ranee Ramaswamy, an Indian-American master teacher and performer of Bharatanatyam since 1978, as a member of the prestigious National Council on the Arts.
Founder and co-artistic director of the Ragamala Dance Company, Ramaswamy has been a disciple of Alarmel Valli, one of India`s greatest living masters since 1984.
Announcing her nomination along with half a dozen other key administration posts, Obama said in a statement: "These dedicated and accomplished individuals will be valued additions to my administration as we tackle the important challenges facing America. I look forward to working with them in the months and years ahead."
Ramaswamy`s work has been commissioned by the Walker Art Centre, American Composers Forum, and the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, and has been supported by the National Dance Project and the Joyce Foundation.
Her tours have been highlighted by the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, the American Dance Festival, and the National Centre for Performing Arts in Mumbai.
Ramaswamy has worked with celebrated artists such as poet Robert Bly, jazz musician Howard Levy, legendary composer/violinist L. Subramaniam, the Cudamani ensemble (Bali, Indonesia) and Wadaiko Ensemble Tokara (Nagano, Japan).
Among her numerous grants and awards are 14 McKnight Fellowships, a Bush Foundation Choreography Fellowship, and an Artist Exploration Fund grant from Arts International.
She is the recipient of the 2011 McKnight Distinguished Artist Award and was named "2011 Artist of the Year" by the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
She earned a BA in Fine Arts from the University of Madras.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire