Obama names new CIA, Pentagon chief
Washington: Confirming speculations of media reports, US President Barrack Obama named Former Senator and Vietnam War veteran Chuck Hagel as the new Defense Secretary on Monday. He would replace Leon Panetta at the Pentagon overruling all criticisms against him mad by fellow Republicans.
Obama also nominated his counter-terrorism adviser John Brennan, who was involved in the planning of the 2011 raid that killed Osama bin Laden, as the new chief of CIA.
Though, both these appointments are yet to be confirmed.
Obama had earlier nominated John Kerry as the Secretary of State, who will replace Hillary Clinton.
His first choice for secretary of state was UN envoy Susan Rice, whose chances got overshadowed by the controversy over her tackling of the Benghazi attack.
Obama, who returned to Washington on Sunday from his Hawaiian vacation, made all these declarations today.
Hagel, a moderate Republican, built a strong relationship with Obama during their travel as senators. But the former Nebraska lawmaker has faced withering criticism from Congress since emerging as the front-runner for the Pentagon post.
Brennan on the other hand served in the counter-terrorism post since the beginning of the Obama administration, and had earlier been in the reckoning for the post in 2008, but withdrew amid questions about his connections to the techniques used by the agency during the administration of George W Bush.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Cycling: Yates attacks to win Vuelta sixth stage
- Rio Olympics fallout: Swimmer Ryan Lochte charged over false robbery claim
- Donald Trump`s anti-immigration stance spurs surge from Central America
- Israel rejects UN appeal to release Gaza employee
- Nicolas Sarkozy tells comeback rally he would ban burkini across France