Obama names new CIA, Pentagon chief
Washington: Confirming speculations of media reports, US President Barrack Obama named Former Senator and Vietnam War veteran Chuck Hagel as the new Defense Secretary on Monday. He would replace Leon Panetta at the Pentagon overruling all criticisms against him mad by fellow Republicans.
Obama also nominated his counter-terrorism adviser John Brennan, who was involved in the planning of the 2011 raid that killed Osama bin Laden, as the new chief of CIA.
Though, both these appointments are yet to be confirmed.
Obama had earlier nominated John Kerry as the Secretary of State, who will replace Hillary Clinton.
His first choice for secretary of state was UN envoy Susan Rice, whose chances got overshadowed by the controversy over her tackling of the Benghazi attack.
Obama, who returned to Washington on Sunday from his Hawaiian vacation, made all these declarations today.
Hagel, a moderate Republican, built a strong relationship with Obama during their travel as senators. But the former Nebraska lawmaker has faced withering criticism from Congress since emerging as the front-runner for the Pentagon post.
Brennan on the other hand served in the counter-terrorism post since the beginning of the Obama administration, and had earlier been in the reckoning for the post in 2008, but withdrew amid questions about his connections to the techniques used by the agency during the administration of George W Bush.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why