Obama nominates Indian-American to key admin post
Washington: US President Barack Obama has
nominated Indian-American Arun Majumdar to a key
administration post in the Department of Energy.
An IIT-Mumbai alumni, Majumdar has been nominated as the
US Under Secretary of Energy, the White House announced today
along with other nominations by the US President.
"These men and women have demonstrated knowledge and
dedication throughout their careers. I am grateful they have
chosen to take on these important roles, and I look forward to
working with them in the months and years to come," Obama
Majumdar has served as the Director of the Advanced
Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) since 2009.
Previously, he was Associate Laboratory Director for
Energy and Environment at Lawrence Berkeley National
Laboratory and a professor of mechanical engineering and
materials science and engineering at the University of
His research career has focused on the science and
engineering of energy conversion, transport, and storage,
ranging from the molecular and nanoscale level to large energy
He has served on the advisory committee of the National
Science Foundation`s engineering directorate and the
President`s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology.
Majumdar was elected a member of the National Academy of
Engineering in 2005.
He received his Bachelor`s degree in Mechanical
Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai in
1985 and his Ph.D. in 1989 from the University of California,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way