Obama nominates Kennedy`s daughter as Ambassador to Japan
Washington: US President Barack Obama has nominated Caroline Kennedy, daughter of former president John F Kennedy, as his next envoy to Japan.
If confirmed by the Senate, Kennedy would replace US Ambassador to Japan John Roos, who has been serving in this position since 2009.
Obama made the announcement along with nomination of some other key administration post, including Marcel Lettre as the Principal Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence, Department of Defense.
"These fine public servants both bring a depth of experience and tremendous dedication to their new roles. Our nation will be well-served by these individuals, and I look forward to working with them in the months and years to come," Obama said in a statement.
President of the John F Kennedy Library Foundation and Chair of the Senior Advisory Committee of the Institute of Politics at Harvard University, Caroline is the editor of several New York Times best-selling books on topics including constitutional law, American history, politics, and poetry.
In September 2012, she was appointed as a General Trustee of the Board of Trustees of the John F Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
From 2002 to 2012, she served as Vice Chair of the Fund for Public Schools in New York City.
She is also on the Board of Directors of New Visions for Public Schools and serves as Honorary Chair of the American Ballet Theater.
From 1998 to 2009, she served on the Board of Directors of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People Legal Defense and Educational Fund.
From 1994 to 2011, she served on the Board of Directors of the Commission on Presidential Debates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?