Obama on daddy duty for daughter’s first day of HS
London: Barack Obama will be on “daddy duty” on daughter Malia’s first day of high school as Michelle will be busy with strengthening her hubby’s presidency candidacy.
The First Lady will miss the momentous occasion, as she is preparing for her speech on the opening night of the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina.
She said that she hoped her daughters see her on television, as she does her bit to secure her husband’s role as President - but only once their schoolwork is done.
“I hope they watch (my speech) at home,” the Daily Mail quoted her as telling Entertainment Tonight.
“But if there’s homework, I’m not going to get too upset about that,” she said.
She also said that she still had “no idea” what she was going to wear on the podium.
“Like any woman, I have no idea yet. I brought many options and it’s going to depend on how I feel that evening so, you know, stay tuned,” she said.
While the first daughters’ school commitments meant that they won’t be in Charlotte for their mother’s speech, Malia, 14, and Sasha, 11, will be on hand when Barack officially accepts the Democratic nomination on Thursday, Obama said.
"We have always structured our lives where our kids come first and their involvement in politics is at their own discretion,” she said.
“And trust me, there hasn’t been a time when they’ve said, ‘I think I want to watch you do a rally rather than go to this sleepover,’ it’s never happened -- surprisingly so. But they’re always welcome and they do enjoy the campaign trail but the older they get the more full lives they have.
“You know, they’re on sports teams, they’ve got friends, they’ve got activities ...They’re living normal teenage lives and that’s exactly how Barack and I would want it,” she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Now, Lexit: London wants to stay with EU, says petition
- UP cops fight publicly over 'share of bribe', video goes viral - Watch
- Make your smoothie a successful summer diet with these magical ingredients!
- Delhi govt introduces 'Change-makers in education' fellowship
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic