Obama opens up coastal oil drilling, angers environmentalists
Washington: President Barack Obama on Wednesday backed new drilling for oil and natural gas off parts of the US coastline as a short-term, but necessary, solution to the country`s massive energy needs.
The move was viewed as an effort to placate some conservative Republicans, who have long called for more oil drilling and whose support Obama will need to tackle climate change with a broader overhaul of US energy policy.
But Obama`s announcement angered environmentalists, who lobbied against opening up sensitive coastal areas that are home to endangered wildlife and pristine beaches. Many politicians from coastal states have also stiffly opposed drilling off their shores, fearing its effects on tourism.
Obama said he was offering a middle ground. He backed opening up coastal areas in the mid and southern Atlantic as well as in the Arctic off Alaska`s coastline. Other areas, including the Pacific coast and Alaska`s Bristol Bay, would remain off limits to oil firms.
"This is not a decision that I`ve made lightly," Obama said in a speech at the Joint Base Andrews Naval Air Facility in Maryland. "But the bottom line is this: Given our energy needs ... we are going to need to harness traditional sources of fuel even as we ramp up production of new sources of renewable, home-grown energy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31