Obama orders blocking of Iranian properties
Washington: In a move bound to rattle Tehran,
US President Barack Obama on Monday issued an executive order
blocking property of the Iranian government and its financial
institutions in America.
In a communiqué to the US Congress, Obama said his
administration feels additional sanctions are needed on Iran
in light of the "deceptive practices" of the Central Bank of
Iran and other Iranian banks to conceal transactions of
Obama said he has determined that there are deficiencies
in Iran`s anti-money laundering regime and the weaknesses in
its implementation and continuing and unacceptable risk posed
to the international financial system by Iran`s activities.
As such Obama said he has signed an executive order that
blocks the property and interest in property of the Government
of Iran, the Central Bank of Iran and its other financial
"All property and interests in property of any Iranian
financial institution, including the Central Bank of Iran,
that are in the United States, that hereafter come within the
United States, or that are or hereafter come within the
possession or control of any United States person, including
any foreign branch, are blocked and may not be transferred,
paid, exported, withdrawn, or otherwise dealt in," the
executive order says.
US and its allies have accused Iran of pursuing a nuclear
The West accuses Tehran of assembling the material and
know-how to build a nuclear bomb, a charge denied by Iran
which says its atomic programme is for peaceful use.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'