Obama orders boosting of security of diplomatic posts
Washington: US President Barack Obama on Thursday ordered security to be beefed up at all American diplomatic posts overseas in the aftermath of the attacks on its missions, as the US flag was lowered to half mast to mourn the killing of Washington`s Ambassador in Benghazi.
"I`ve also directed my administration to increase our security at diplomatic posts around the world," Obama told reporters as he condemned the killing of his top diplomat in Benghazi, Chris Stevens, and attack of the US Embassy in Cairo.
"We`re working with the government of Libya to secure our diplomats," Obama said.
Obama also ordered all flags on government buildings to be lowered to half mast as a mark of mourning for five days.
All US military posts, diplomatic sites abroad and ships at sea, will lower the flags until sunset on September 16 to mourn the killing of the US ambassador and three other American nations.
The US Consulate in Benghazi was attacked by protesters over an anti-Islam film made by an Israeli American.
"I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds," Obama said in a proclamation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Mahatma Gandhi: Know six things you didn't know about him
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan