Obama outraises Romney for the first time in August
Washington: For the first time in four months, the Obama Campaign raised USD 114 million, collecting three million more than that of Romney`s monthly haul, latest figures released by both camps said on Monday.
President Barack Obama`s campaign team raised USD 114 million in the month of August compared to Romney campaign`s 111.6 million fund.
"The key to fighting back against the special interests writing limitless checks to support Mitt Romney is growing our donor base, and we did substantially in the month of August," said Jim Messina, the Obama Campaign Manager.
"Fueled by contributions from more than 1.1 million Americans donating an average of USD 58 -- more than 317,000 who had never contributed to the campaign before -- we raised a total of more than USD 114 million.
"That is a critical down payment on the organisation we are building across the country -- the largest grassroots campaign in history," Messina said in a statement. This is a significant turnaround for Obama who is trailing behind Romney since April in fundraising.
In another statement, the Romney campaign announced that it raised USD 111.6 million in August. The campaign has approximately USD 168.5 million cash on hand.
The Obama Campaign, however, did not say how much money it has on hand. "Americans are not better off than they were four years ago and they are looking for a change of leadership. Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are offering bold solutions to our country`s problems that is why we are seeing such tremendous support from donors across the country," said the Romney Victory National Finance Chairman, Spencer Zwick, and RNC Chairman Reince Priebus.
"We will continue the hard work of raising the resources so that Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan can win in November, put in place their Plan for a Stronger Middle Class, and finally get the country back on the right track," the joint statement said.
Romney, former Massachusetts governor, will challenge Obama, who is seeking re-election, in the November 6 presidential poll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth