Obama, Panetta praise special rescue operation in Afghanistan
Washington: US President Barack Obama and his Defence Secretary Leon Panetta have praised Special Forces for conducting a successful rescue operation in Afghanistan that left one American soldier and seven militants dead.
The mission that rescued an American citizen "was characteristic of the extraordinary courage, skill and patriotism that our troops" show every day, Obama said.
"Tragically, we lost one of our special operators in this effort. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, just as we must always honor our troops and military families," he said in a statement.
The US special forces killed seven Taliban militants in the pre-dawn raid yesterday carried out to rescue hostage Dr Dilip Joseph who was in "imminent danger of injury or death", NATO`s International Security Assistance Force said yesterday.
He had been abducted on December 5 by Taliban militants in the Surobi district of Kabul province.
Defence Secretary Panetta also commended the US Special Operations team who rescued American citizen captured by the Taliban in Afghanistan.
"I was deeply saddened to learn that a US service member was killed in the operation, and I also want to extend my condolences to his family, teammates and friends. The special operators who conducted this raid knew they were putting their lives on the line to free a fellow American from the enemy`s grip," Panetta said in a separate statement.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- AR Rahman's romantic ballads steal Delhi hearts