`Obama proposed talks in secret letter to Iran`
Tehran: US President Barack Obama has called
for direct talks with Iran in a secret letter to the Islamic
Republic`s supreme leader that also warned Tehran against
closing the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a conservative Iranian
lawmaker was quoted as saying on Wednesday.
Iran has threatened to close the waterway, the route for
about one-sixth of the global oil flow, because of new US
sanctions over its nuclear program.
Conservative lawmaker Ali Motahari revealed the content of
the letter days after the Obama administration said it was
warning Iran through public and private channels against any
action that threatens the flow of oil from the Persian Gulf.
"In the letter, Obama called for direct talks with Iran,"
the semiofficial Fars news agency quoted Motahari as saying
Wednesday. "The letter also said that closing the Strait of
Hormuz is (Washington`s) red line."
"The first part of the letter contains threats and the
second part contains an offer for dialogue," he added.
Iran`s Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast
confirmed that Tehran received the letter and was considering
a possible response.
The White House had no immediate comment today. National
Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor pointed to the
administration warning efforts that were revealed Friday.
Spokesmen have been vague on what the United States would
do about Iran`s threat to block the strategic Strait of
Hormuz, but military officials have been clear that the US is
readying for a possible naval clash.
Iran`s Revolutionary Guard, the country`s most powerful
military force, says Tehran`s leadership has decided to order
the closure of the oil route if Iran`s oil exports are
A senior Guard officer said earlier this month that the
decision has been made by Iran`s top authorities.
Iranian politicians have made the threat in the past, but
this was the strongest statement yet that a closure of the
strait is official policy.
Iran`s regular army recently held naval war games near the
vital waterway that were described by hard-liners as part of
preparations to close the strait if sanctions are imposed. The
Guard is planning major naval military exercises next month in
the same region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy