Obama-Putin bilateral at G20 `not planned`: Kremlin
Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin is currently not planning to have bilateral talks with US President Barack Obama at the G20 summit although there is a chance of an informal encounter, the Kremlin said on Friday.
"A meeting with Obama is not planned," the Kremlin`s foreign policy aide Yury Ushakov said at a briefing today.
Putin plans to "shake his hand" along with other leaders` when he greets them at the summit in Saint Petersburg, Ushakov said.
The two will still have a chance to speak on the sidelines of the summit, Ushakov said. "Whether it will be standing up or in chairs, I do not know," he commented.
With US-Russia ties at a new low after Moscow gave asylum to US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden, the White House earlier this month scrapped a US-Russia summit that was planned to take place in Moscow just ahead of the G20.
A bilateral meeting in Saint-Petersburg was not scheduled "because we and the Americans planned a full-scale state visit (by Obama) to the country, which, as you know, is not happening," Ushakov explained.
As well as the row over Snowden, US-Russia ties have been stretched by a host of other rows, ranging from Syria to human rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report