Obama, Putin discuss Boston bombings over phone
Washington: US President Barack Obama spoke with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin in the wake of the twin bombings in Boston early this week, in which the two suspects are said to be from the Russian part of Chechnya.
"President Obama thanked President Putin for those sentiments, and praised the close cooperation that the United States has received from Russia on counter-terrorism, including in the wake of the Boston attack," the White House said in a statement after the phone call.
Obama and Putin agreed to continue their cooperation on counter-terrorism and security issues going forward, the White House said.
Putin expressed his condolences on behalf of the Russian people for the tragic loss of life in Boston, the statement added.
The US President, meanwhile continued to be briefed on the investigation by his national security team throughout the day.
The most recent briefing, provided in the Oval Office by the Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism Lisa Monaco, concluded shortly after 4.00 PM.
Following that briefing the Obama placed calls to the Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and the Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, to express his condolences for the MIT police officers who was killed overnight, a White House official said.
Obama said that the entire country is behind the people of Boston as well as Massachusetts, and that the full force of the Federal Government will continue to be made available until those responsible are brought to justice, the White House said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray