Obama raises record $1 billion fund
Washington: In a major boost to his re-election bid, US President Barack Obama raised a whopping USD 181 million last month, nearing the the record-breaking billion dollar mark in the run up to the polls.
So far the Obama Campaign has raised nearly USD 947 million this election cycle with a month to go for the November 6 presidential election.
This would be for the first time that any candidate would raise more than a billion dollars in an election cycle.
"More on what it means that 1,825,813 people raised USD 181 million for the campaign and combined committees in September," Obama announced on the social networking site Twitter, where he has more than 20.5 million followers.
"We not only surpassed 10 million donations so far in 2012 to the campaign and the Democratic Party -- a historic record for grassroots politics. We also raised USD 181 million in September from 1.8 million Americans -- more than 567,000 of whom gave for the first time. That`s by far our biggest month yet," Obama`s campaign manager Jim Messina said in an email to his supporters.
The average donation was USD 53 and 98 per cent of their contributions were USD 250 or less.
In August the Obama Campaign had raised USD 141 million.
The Romney campaign has not announced its numbers for September. However the Romney campaign spokesperson, Andrea Saul, announced on Twitter that after the successful Denver debate it raised more than USD 12 million in less than 48 hours.
"Post #debate @MittRomney raised more than $12 million in less than 48 hours. Night of, more than 2 donations/second," she said.
Mitt Romney, meanwhile tweeted asking his supporters to donate. "A clear choice. America can`t afford another four years like the last. Donate $15 now."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video