Obama reference to `Polish death camp` faulted
Washington: US President Barack Obama`s reference to a "Polish death camp" while honouring a Polish war hero is drawing complaints from a Polish cultural organisation.
Obama made the remark yesterday while awarding the Medal of Freedom to Jan Karski, a resistance fighter against the Nazi occupation of Poland during World War II.
Obama noted Karski had been smuggled "into the Warsaw Ghetto and a Polish death camp" to check out reports that Jews were being murdered.
Alex Storozynski, president of the Kosciuszko Foundation, said Obama should have called it a "German death camp in Nazi-occupied Poland”.
Tommy Vietor, a spokesman for the National Security Council, said Obama was "referring to Nazi death camps operated in Poland”. He said the President has demonstrated "rock-solid commitment" to the US alliance with Poland.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents