Obama retains Dempsey as top military chief
Washington: US President Barack Obama announced Wednesday he was nominating General Martin Dempsey for another term as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the nation`s top military chief.
Oama said in a statement he would also nominate Admiral Sandy Winnefeld for another term as the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Xinhua reported.
The president praised the two as "superb officers who have led our military and their families with great distinction, deep conviction, and absolute integrity over the past two years," and have "earned my trust and that of the American people."
Obama said he is confident "that our nation is safer and more secure today because of their visionary, dedicated, and tireless leadership," and urged the Senate to re-confirm their nomination as swiftly as possible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt