Obama retains Dempsey as top military chief
Washington: US President Barack Obama announced Wednesday he was nominating General Martin Dempsey for another term as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the nation`s top military chief.
Oama said in a statement he would also nominate Admiral Sandy Winnefeld for another term as the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Xinhua reported.
The president praised the two as "superb officers who have led our military and their families with great distinction, deep conviction, and absolute integrity over the past two years," and have "earned my trust and that of the American people."
Obama said he is confident "that our nation is safer and more secure today because of their visionary, dedicated, and tireless leadership," and urged the Senate to re-confirm their nomination as swiftly as possible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- NIA reveals why ISIS bigger threat to India than Pakistani terrorists - Read details
- How to prevent obesity, eating disorders in teenagers
- Flood situation in Bihar under control: CM Nitish Kumar
- Teenaged Dalit girl gang-raped in UP's Aligarh
- Stem Cell treatment is effective in recovery of spinal injuries