Obama retains Dempsey as top military chief
Washington: US President Barack Obama announced Wednesday he was nominating General Martin Dempsey for another term as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the nation`s top military chief.
Oama said in a statement he would also nominate Admiral Sandy Winnefeld for another term as the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Xinhua reported.
The president praised the two as "superb officers who have led our military and their families with great distinction, deep conviction, and absolute integrity over the past two years," and have "earned my trust and that of the American people."
Obama said he is confident "that our nation is safer and more secure today because of their visionary, dedicated, and tireless leadership," and urged the Senate to re-confirm their nomination as swiftly as possible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre