Obama right to hold off on Syria: Gorbachev
Geneva: Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev said today US President Barack Obama was right to seek backing from Congress for military action in Syria, but warned that intervening raised dire risks.
Obama has faced criticism for alleged indecisiveness and for passing the ball to US lawmakers after previously taking a hawkish tone over an alleged chemical attack in Syria.
"If he`s not decisive enough in shooting and bombing, I think it`s a good kind of indecisiveness," Gorbachev told a conference of Green Cross International, a peace and environmental organisation he founded in 1993, two years after his Kremlin ouster.
"If, however, they decide to shoot without regard for the opinion of the people everywhere, including the United States, then I think the consequences could be very bad," he warned.
Much of the international community, including the United States, Britain and France, has blamed the Syrian regime for an August 21 chemical attack near the capital Damascus that killed hundreds.
But Russia, a longtime backer of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, has supported the regime and called the evidence it used chemical weapons unconvincing.
Gorbachev`s reforms heralded the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War.
Moscow`s ties with the West have chilled anew in the past decade, however, with the crisis in Syria the latest flashpoint.
While Washington and Moscow have vowed to try to broker Syria peace talks, Russia`s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Monday that military action would put them on ice for "a long time, if not forever."
Gorbachev made no comment on the Kremlin`s Syria policy, sparking a diplomatically toned rebuke from former Dutch premier Ruud Lubbers, ex-head of the United Nations` refugee agency.
"Russia needs to understand that the presence of chemical weapons in Syria is a problem for everyone. We know there are chemical weapons in Syria. This is a responsibility also for Russia," Lubbers told the conference.
"It should not be who`s wrong and right, but a common responsibility of the two capitals, Moscow and Washington," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly