`Obama, Romney in virtual tie in Swing States`
Washington: US President Barack Obama is nearly tied with his presumptive Republican rival Mitt Romney in 12 battleground States, a latest opinion poll has said.
The poll after Romney became the presumptive Republican nominee was carried out by USA Today and Gallup according to which the two leaders are nearly tied - 45 percent vs 47 percent respectively - among registered voters in the 12 battleground states.
Romney is better positioned today than he was in March, when USA Today/Gallup found Obama leading by nine percentage points among swing-state voters.
Romney now roughly matches his standing earlier in the year, before he secured the Republican nomination.
Interviews were conducted among registered voters in 12 states where the presidential race is expected to be closely contested: Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Wisconsin.
While Obama edges out Romney by two points in the overall preferences of swing-state registered voters, he has a four- point advantage with respect to solid supporters: 36 percent of swing-state voters say they are certain they will vote for Obama in November, while 32 percent are certain they will vote for Romney.
Each candidate`s remaining supporters - the 11 percent who favour Obama and the 13 percent favouring Romney - say there is a chance they could change their mind between now and the election.
An additional seven percent of voters are undecided, meaning a total of 31 percent of swing-state voters are not firmly committed at this time.
According to the poll, Obama`s swing-state prospects also look a bit brighter than Romney`s on the basis of voter enthusiasm. More than half of Obama`s supporters, 55 percent, are extremely or very enthusiastic about voting in this year`s Presidential Election, up from 49 percent saying this in March.
By contrast, 46 percent of Romney`s supporters are extremely or very enthusiastic, unchanged from 47 percent in March. Today’s figures reflect a reversal from January, when 55 percent of Romney voters were extremely or very enthusiastic, compared with 50 percent of Obama voters, the poll said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in