Obama says no need for `photo op` with Mandela
Aboard Air Force One: US President Barack Obama said on Friday he would not press for a much-awaited meeting with his critically ill hero Nelson Mandela, hours before he landed in South Africa.
"We`ll see what the situation is when we land. I do not need a photo op," Obama said en route to the country, where he will spend the three days as part of a three-nation Africa trip.
"The last thing I want to do is to be in any way obtrusive at a time when the family is concerned about Nelson Mandela`s condition."
Mandela, who turns 95 next month, was rushed to hospital three weeks ago with a recurring lung disease.
His condition is said to be critical, although the presidency says there have been some signs of improvements in recent days.
Mandela`s ill health means the two men, who shattered racial boundaries on either side of the Atlantic, will not hold a long-anticipated meeting for the cameras.
"I think that the message we`ll want to deliver is not directly to him but to his family, is simply profound gratitude for his leadership all these years," Obama said.
Obama said he wanted to let Mandela`s family know "that the thoughts and prayers of the American people are with him and his family and his country".
Reflections on Mandela`s extraordinary journey from prisoner to president will permeate Obama`s stay, but would not change the message of his trip.
"The lesson will be consistent because it draws on the lessons of Nelson Mandela`s own life."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3