Obama says US goal is not to counter or contain China
Beijing: President Barack Obama said Monday the US goal in Asia was not to contain or counter China, hours after his administration signed a new defence agreement with the Philippines.
Obama however backed Manila`s effort to get its territorial disputes with China adjudicated by international arbitration, during a visit to the Philippines.
"Our goal is not to counter China. Our goal is not to contain China," Obama said at a press conference with Philippine President Benigno Aquino.
Obama`s tour of US allies in Asia encompassing Japan, South Korea, Malaysia and the Philippines over the last week has been closely watched in Beijing which is sensitive to any suggestion Washington is trying to prevent China`s development as a regional superpower.
"We welcome China`s peaceful rise. We have a constructive relationship with China," Obama said.
Washington however argues that Beijing must play by "rules of the road" to make sure that territorial disputes in the South and East China Seas are solved in line with international law, not by intimidation or coercion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan