Obama seeks $80 bn to maintain nuke stockpile complex
Washington: The Obama administration on Thursday submitted a plan to the US Congress to spend USD 80 billion over the next decade to maintain and improve the nation`s nuclear weapons complex.
Obama said he needs the money to enhance the safety, security and reliability of the nuclear weapons stockpile of the United States; modernise the nuclear weapons complex; and maintain the delivery platforms for nuclear weapons over a 10-year period.
"My administration is dedicated to seeking the peace and security of a world without nuclear weapons, and we are taking concrete steps toward that goal. As long as nuclear weapons still exist," he said.
Obama said he is firmly committed to maintaining a safe, secure, and effective nuclear arsenal to deter adversaries and reassure US allies and other security partners.
"As we reduce the role of nuclear weapons in our national security strategy, it remains increasingly important that we ensure the safety, security, and effectiveness of our nuclear weapons stockpile," he said adding that this report, and the plan it contains, is an important element of its assurance that the US deterrent remains strong.
Welcoming the plan, Senator John Kerry, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said: "It demonstrates the Obama administration`s commitment to keeping America`s nuclear deterrent safe and effective for a generation to come."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video