Obama set for two swearing-in ceremonies
Washington: Almost three decades after Ronald Reagan, Barack Obama is set to repeat a feat that not many US Presidents get the privilege of -- being sworn in twice.
The President will be sworn in twice for his second term by Chief Justice John Roberts -- first today and for a second time tomorrow.
The two oath takings have been necessitated as the US Constitution-mandated date of January 20 this year fell on a Sunday and historically inaugural ceremonies are not held on Sundays because Courts and other public institutions are not open.
Therefore, this year, in accordance with the requirements of the US Constitution, Obama and Vice President Joe Biden will officially be sworn in on a Sunday.
The following day, a ceremonial swearing-in that is open to the public will take place on the West Front of the United States Capitol, the Presidential Inauguration Committee has said.
The US Chief Justice Roberts will administer the oath of office for Obama at the Inaugural swearing-in ceremonies on both the days and Supreme Court Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor will administer the oath of office to Biden.
Obama has selected historical bibles including those used by Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King for his swearing in ceremonies.
"I will be honoured to again stand on the Inaugural platform and take part in this important American tradition," Obama said earlier this month.
"I look forward to having Chief Justice John Roberts administer my oath of office as we gather to celebrate not just a president or vice president, but the strength and determination of the American people," he added.
Presidents Dwight D Eisenhower and Ronald W Reagan also had two ceremonies, one private swearing-in on a Sunday and a public oath ceremony on the following Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested