Obama sets rare meeting with Republicans next week
Washington: President Barack Obama plans a rare meeting with Senate Republicans next week as tensions between his administration and the opposition party remain high over ways to fix the country`s massive deficit.
The meetings are part of Obama`s broader outreach to Republicans after the White House and Congress failed to reach a deal to avert the $85 billion in budget cuts that started going into effect Friday.
The president is specifically reaching out to rank-and-file Republicans, not their leadership. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell`s office says the president requested the meeting through his chief of staff.
The meeting will take place next Thursday as the US braces for its latest fiscal crisis, a possible government shutdown at the end of the month.
McConnell`s office says Obama last attended the Senate Republicans` policy lunch in May 2010. "We have numerous challenges facing the country, and Republicans have offered the president serious solutions to shrink Washington spending and grow the economy," McConnell said in a statement.
"And we will have an opportunity to discuss them with the president at the lunch."
House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner`s office said the president had also requested a meeting next week with House Republicans, who control the chamber while Democrats control the Senate.
The White House and Boehner`s office were working to schedule that meeting, the speaker`s office said.
White House aides say the president`s calls with Republicans focus in part on jumpstarting broader budget talks, but also on Obama`s proposals for overhauling the nation`s immigration laws and enacting stricter gun control measures.
"He is reaching out and talking to members about a variety of issues not just our fiscal challenges, but certainly the fiscal issues are among the issues he is talking about with lawmakers," White House spokesman Jay Carney said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`