Obama shocked by shooting at Batman movie premiere
Washington: Shocked and saddened by the "horrific" cinema hall shooting in Colorado, US President Barack Obama on Friday vowed to bring to justice the perpetrators of the heinous crime that claimed at least 12 lives and left 50 people injured.
"Michelle and I are shocked and saddened by the horrific and tragic shooting in Colorado. Federal and local law enforcement are still responding, and my administration will do everything that we can to support the people of Aurora (the city where the Cinema hall is located) in this extraordinarily difficult time," Obama said in a statement.
The President, who was notified of the shooting in an Aurora cinema hall by his Homeland Security Advisor John Brennan at 5:26 am local time, is in Palm Beach, Florida, on a two-day election campaign trip.
"We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded. As we do when confronted by moments of darkness and challenge, we must now come together as one American family," Obama said.
"All of us must have the people of Aurora in our thoughts and prayers as they confront the loss of family, friends, and neighbours, and we must stand together with them in the challenging hours and days to come," said the US President.
A 24-year-old white male suspect, who opened fire during the premiere of the latest Batman film `The Dark Knight Rises`, has been taken into custody by the police.
The gunman told the police that he had explosives in his apartment, which has now been evacuated.
The FBI has been rushed to the scene and is investigating the incident, apparently to look into the terrorist angle to it.
The entire area has been evacuated.
When the gunman was apprehended, he was at the back of the theatre near the parking lot close to his vehicle, which had a Tennessee license plate, police said.
Police said he apparently used some kind of a tear gas inside the theatre before the shooting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise