Obama stops Chinese firm from owning US projects
Beijing: Citing national security risks, US President Barack Obama has blocked a Chinese company from owning four wind farm projects near a Navy base where the US military tests unmanned drones and electronic-warfare planes.
Obama ordered Ralls Corp, a company owned by Chinese nationals, to divest its interest in the wind farms it purchased earlier this year near the Naval Weapons Systems Training Facility in Boardman, Oregon, the Shanghai Daily reported.
The case reached the president`s desk after the Committee on Foreign Investments in the US (CFIUS) determined there was no way to address the national security risks posed by the Chinese company`s purchases.
Only the president has final authority to prohibit such a transaction.
The report, however, did not say what risks the wind farm purchases presented.
The Treasury Department said the CFIUS made its recommendation to Obama after receiving an analysis of the potential threats from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the Chinese daily said.
The military has said it uses the Oregon naval facility to test unmanned drones and the EA-18G "Growler", an electronic warfare aircraft that accompanies US fighter bombers on missions. It jams enemy radar, destroying them with missiles along the way.
At the Oregon site, the planes fly as low as 61 metres and at nearly 500 km per hour.
The Treasury Department said Obama`s decision was specific to this transaction and does not set a precedent for other foreign investment in the US by China or any other country.
However, Xinhua said in a commentary: "The move has once again revealed the hypocrisy of US politics and double standard on so-called welcoming foreign investment."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now