Obama stresses on need to shift to clean energy
Washington: Noting that major economies
around the world are investing in new ways of producing and
saving energy, US President Barack Obama on Wednesday said his
administration is serious in shifting towards clean energy.
"Moving toward clean energy is about our security. It`s
about our economy. And it`s about future of our planet. What I
hope is the policies we`ve laid out ? from hybrid fleets to
offshore drilling, from nuclear energy to wind energy underscore the seriousness with which my administration takes
this challenge," Obama said in his address at the Andrews Air
Countries around the world are seeking an edge in the
global market by investing in new ways of producing and saving
energy, he said.
"From China to Germany, these nations recognise that the
country that leads in clean energy technology will be the one
that leads the global economy," the president noted.
Meanwhile, here at home, as politicians debate endlessly
whether to act, our own military has determined that we can`t
afford not to," he said.
Obama said the Army and Marine Corps have been testing
F-18 vehicle on a mixture of bio fuels.
"And this Navy fighter jet called the Green Hornet
will be flown for the first time in just a few weeks, on Earth
Day," he said.
"If tests go as planned, it will be the first plane ever
to fly faster than the speed of sound on a fuel mix that is
half biomass. The Air Force is also testing jet engines using
bio fuels and had the first successful bio fuel-powered test
flight just last week. Though I don`t want to drum up any kind
of rivalry," he said.
The US President said the Pentagon isn`t seeking these
alternative fuels just to protect America`s environment; they
are pursuing these homegrown energy sources to protect its
"Our military leaders recognise the security imperative
of increasing the use of alternative fuels, decreasing energy
use, and reducing our reliance on imported oil," he said.
The Navy has set a goal of using 50 per cent alternative
fuel in all planes, vehicles, and ships in the next ten years.
The Defence Department has invested USD 2.7 billion this
year alone to improve energy efficiency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof