Obama takes digs at opponents, advisers
Washington: President Barack Obama shared some words of wisdom, saying there a few things in life harder to find and more important to keep than love.
"Well, love and a birth certificate," Obama quipped at the White House Correspondents` Association dinner, poking fun at those who question his place of birth. "I happen to know that my approval ratings are still very high in the country of my birth." Obama was born in Hawaii, but sceptics known as "birthers" question whether he was born overseas.
Obama also jabbed Jay Leno, the comedian headlining the dinner. Obama dinged Leno as "the only person whose ratings fell more than mine”.
He said he was glad he spoke before the `The Tonight Show` host, "because we have all seen what happens when somebody takes the time slot after Leno." Comic Conan O`Brien left NBC after his stint hosting `The Tonight Show` following Leno`s brief prime-time show didn`t work out.
He took aim at his own administration too, cracking jokes about Vice President Joe Biden and his chief of staff Rahm Emanuel.
Republicans were also the victims of many Obama punch lines. The President noted Sen John McCain`s claim this year that he was not identified as a maverick. "We know what happens in Arizona when you don`t have an ID. ... Adios amigos," Obama quipped, referring to a new law in Arizona that targets illegal immigration.
He wasn`t hesitant to mention the attention-hungry couple who crashed his state dinner last fall. "Odds are that the Salahis are here. There haven`t been people that were more unwelcome at a party since Charlie Crist," he said about the Florida governor who decided to defect from the Republican party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next