Obama takes digs at opponents, advisers
Washington: President Barack Obama shared some words of wisdom, saying there a few things in life harder to find and more important to keep than love.
"Well, love and a birth certificate," Obama quipped at the White House Correspondents` Association dinner, poking fun at those who question his place of birth. "I happen to know that my approval ratings are still very high in the country of my birth." Obama was born in Hawaii, but sceptics known as "birthers" question whether he was born overseas.
Obama also jabbed Jay Leno, the comedian headlining the dinner. Obama dinged Leno as "the only person whose ratings fell more than mine”.
He said he was glad he spoke before the `The Tonight Show` host, "because we have all seen what happens when somebody takes the time slot after Leno." Comic Conan O`Brien left NBC after his stint hosting `The Tonight Show` following Leno`s brief prime-time show didn`t work out.
He took aim at his own administration too, cracking jokes about Vice President Joe Biden and his chief of staff Rahm Emanuel.
Republicans were also the victims of many Obama punch lines. The President noted Sen John McCain`s claim this year that he was not identified as a maverick. "We know what happens in Arizona when you don`t have an ID. ... Adios amigos," Obama quipped, referring to a new law in Arizona that targets illegal immigration.
He wasn`t hesitant to mention the attention-hungry couple who crashed his state dinner last fall. "Odds are that the Salahis are here. There haven`t been people that were more unwelcome at a party since Charlie Crist," he said about the Florida governor who decided to defect from the Republican party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'