Obama talks with Hollande on Mali offensive
Washington: US President Barack Obama spoke with his French counterpart Francois Hollande over efforts to deny terrorists a safe heaven in Mali and offered his support for building the African-led International Support Mission in the troubled country.
"On Mali, the President expressed his support for France`s leadership of the international community`s efforts to deny terrorists a safe haven in Mali," the White House said adding that Hollande thanked Obama yesterday for the significant support provided by the United States to this effort.
The two leaders emphasised the need to rapidly establish the African-led International Support Mission in Mali, as well as the importance of the Interim Government of Mali establishing a political roadmap that will lead to elections and restoration of democratic governance, the White House said.
Obama and Hollande also condemned last week`s terrorist act in Algeria and affirmed their mutual commitment to counter terrorism more broadly in North Africa.
"They noted the importance of sustained assistance to Libya as it works to build effective security sector institutions," the statement said.
"The two leaders also discussed the situation in Syria, expressing their strong concern about the humanitarian crisis affecting not just Syria but also neighbouring countries and reiterating their commitment to assisting the Syrian people achieve political transition to a post-Asad Syria," the White House said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM