Obama thanks Kyrgyzstan for Manas Air Base
Washington: US President Barack Obama has
thanked his Kyrgyzstani counterpart Roza Otunbayeva for providing access to the Manas Air Base that provides crucial supply to US forces in Afghanistan.
Obama joined a meeting with National Security Advisor
Tom Donilon and Otunbayeva in the White House to discuss US ?
Kyrgyzstani relations and US support for Kyrgyzstan`s
"He thanked Otunbayeva for Kyrgyzstan`s support for
the Transit Center at Manas and said the US has taken steps to
improve transparency about the Transit Center and payments
connected to it, and pledged to maximise the benefits for the
Kyrgyz people," the White House said in a statement.
The two leaders emphasised that building democracy
was a daily struggle, and noted that Kyrgyzstan had taken
positive steps so far to establish a parliamentary democracy
and hold free and fair elections.
Obama reaffirmed the US commitment to support
Kyrgyzstan`s efforts to consolidate its democracy, it said.
Earlier Donilon congratulated Otunbayeva for the
Women of Courage Award that the State Department will present
to her today.
He said that her courage in leading Kyrgyzstan
through a difficult transition to democracy provides hope for
Central Asia and inspiration for people around the world who
are pursuing their universal rights.
"They discussed the challenges posed by the efforts
to strengthen democracy, meet urgent humanitarian needs and
foster economic growth. They also discussed security issues
such as narcotics trafficking, terrorism and ways to address
the nation`s economic issues," the White House said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report